Sunday, May 01, 2011

The case for cursive

This comment, left on a nytimes.com article about whether or not writing in cursive is still a relevant skill, gave me a good chuckle:

I learned to type in the sixth grade and have written cursive since the first grade. This is just another sign of the dumbing down of America. I have three grandchildren who are as dumb as a post, and of course they can't write or multiply. They bore me to tears.


The full article: The Case for Cursive (nytimes.com)

Personally, I feel that cursive writing (as well as penmanship in general) should be preserved. But much like canning your own vegetables or making bread from scratch, I expect it will be a tradition only carried on by those who find it genuinely interesting - those who wish to preserve the lost arts, if you will.

No comments: